World Bank Group/ICN Competition Advocacy Contest 2018-2019 has begun. This contest goals to spotlight the critical thing function competitors companies, sector regulators and different governmental our bodies or non-governmental organizations play in selling competitors by showcasing their advocacy success tales.
As outlined by the ICN, competitors advocacy refers to actions that promote an aggressive setting using non-enforcement mechanisms, comparable to constructing relationships with authorities entities, growing public consciousness of competitors’ advantages and figuring out and eradicating anticompetitive insurance policies and rules.
They are in search of success tales from competitors companies, different public our bodies or civil society that display the tangible outcomes of competitors advocacy concerning:
- Theme 1: Understanding the consequences of competitors coverage on poverty and inequality in each creating and developed nations: Increased competitors can positively affect the welfare of much less well-off households of their function as customers, producers, and workers. However, the connection between competitors and poverty is advanced and never all the time easy. Competition authorities and different related stakeholders might undertake advocacy initiatives to grasp the consequences of competitors on inequality and poverty and to elucidate to the federal government and the general public how competitors coverage can contribute to alleviating poverty and inequality.
- Theme 2: Promoting competitors as software to the combat towards corruption and for an equal taking part in subject amongst private and non-private gamers: Stronger market competitors generally is a highly effective software to combat crime. Pro-competitive procurement guidelines in state-owned enterprises (SOEs) and different guidelines that assure competitive neutrality can scale back the danger of corruption and keep away from bid rigging. In addition to the explicit hyperlinks between the combat towards bid rigging and fraud in tender processes, fierce competitors provide rivals the motivation to observe and report unlawful conduct of their markets, together with these related to corruption.
- Theme three: Engaging with private and non-private stakeholders to raised grasp competitors challenges posed by quick altering market dynamics: Competition authorities might be proactive and promote actions, additionally along with private and non-private stakeholders, to find out about using massive information, blockchain, machine studying, synthetic intelligence, in addition to implications of those new applied sciences in areas aside from competitors (e.g., for labor markets) within the new gig-economy.
- Theme four: Promoting aggressive digital infrastructure, digital platforms, and digital finance: Services within the digital financial system require competitors at varied ranges of the worth chain: on the support and enabling expertise stage (e.g., ICT), on the digital platform stage and the final service sector stage. Finance is a crucial service to foster financial improvement, and digital investment is, without a doubt, one of the sectors with many latest regulatory developments that might profit from a pro-competition design.
Submissions will bear a rigorous evaluation of the next standards:
- The relevance of the competitors challenge tackled by the initiative;
- The success of the advocacy exercise – outcomes achieved;
- Impact and results on markets, spillover results and classes realized;
- Advocacy technique – creativity and originality, cooperation mechanisms deployed.
Submitted tales should embrace:
- The competitors challenge underneath evaluation;
- The technique used to handle the competitor’s challenge;
- The foremost messages and suggestions conveyed by the exercise;
- The outcomes of the initiative;
- The precise or anticipated socioeconomic impacts of the action.