Give mid-career doctors the opportunity to improve their clinical skills and have catalytic effects in their workplaces.
Mid-career physicians working in university-affiliated teaching hospitals in low- and middle-income Commonwealth countries.
Commonwealth medical scholarships are offered under the second of six CSC themes:
- Science and technology for development.
- Strengthening health systems and capacity (the fellowship will develop clinical skills that will improve health provision or outcomes for disadvantaged groups in low and middle income countries. The beneficiary is expected to disseminate the skills and knowledge acquired upon return to home).
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening world peace, security and governance.
- Strengthening resilience and crisis response.
- Access, inclusion and opportunity.
Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:
- Academic merit of the candidate
- Quality of the proposal (minimum 200 words)
- The potential impact of the work on the development of the candidate’s country of origin
- The scholarships will develop clinical skills that will improve health provision or outcomes for disadvantaged groups in low- and middle-income countries. The beneficiary is expected to disseminate the skills and knowledge acquired upon returning home.
Medical scholarships are intended to provide access to specific skills / experience that are not easily obtained in the applicant’s home country. Applications that clearly demonstrate this will be viewed favorably.
The awards are sustainable for a period of 4-6 months at any approved UK university hospital.