Call for Innovations Sign On For Literacy Global Prize 2018
The All Children Reading: Sign On For Literacy Global Prize 2018 A Grand Challenge for Development is now accepting submissions for the Sign On For Literacy Global Prize, brand new competitors to make sure all deaf kids obtain literacy. The Sign On For Literacy international prize competitors seeks to establish and assist technology-based improvements to improve signal language and literacy outcomes for deaf kids in low useful resource settings.
These improvements will help dad and mom, educators, communities, and governments in enhancing early childhood growth outcomes, bettering entry to native signal languages, and growing literacy outcomes for deaf kids. The competitors is led by ACR GCD in collaboration with the World Federation of the Deaf, the Nyle DiMarco Foundation, and Deaf Child Worldwide.
The ACR GCD companions are open to a spread of options, together with present applied sciences, new applied sciences, or combos of each. The focus of the competitors is on discovering applied sciences that allow the creation of assets to enhance entry to, and training in, native signal language for kids who’re Deaf in low-resource settings.
Innovations ought to improve language and studying abilities, be price efficient for growing nation contexts, and have the potential for scale. ACR GCD acknowledges that in some settings there isn’t any documented signal language, and to create such assets, language documentation is important. As such, options that use know-how for this significant first step of documentation then linking signal language to literacy assets can even be thought of for awards.
Following the assessment, these chosen to advance shall be awarded seed funding to develop and pilot their innovation.
Phase 1: Written Proposal and Project Plan
- The first section requires a written description in English of the proposed innovation and venture plan explaining the strategies, assets, potential know-how platform(s), personnel, present partnerships (if any), proof of collaboration with the native Deaf Community in product design and implementation, and preliminary schedule to implement the proposed innovation.
- There is a pool of $125,000 USD to reward as much as the 5 most promising improvements with $25,000 USD every.
Phase 2: Prototype Development of the Innovation
- Phase 1 awardees shall be given roughly three months to adapt their improvements for demonstration to the ACR GCD companions.
- The demonstration shall be performed nearly via a video internet convention. If this isn’t attainable or ample, different avenues shall be thought of. The demonstration should present how the innovation will handle potential know-how challenges when utilized in a low-resource context.
- Up to the highest three prototypes will every obtain an award of a minimum of $75,000 USD and shall be superior to Phase three.
Phase three: Prototype Refinement and Field Test Demonstration of the Innovation
- The anticipated period of Phase three is three months. Finalists will refine their profitable Phase 2 prototype and area check their improvements in a low-resource setting. ACR GCD companions are dedicated to researching the affect upon language and literacy outcomes, this research shall be performed through the piloting of the prototype and adopted extra extensively upon the anticipated roll-out of the innovation.
- The highest scoring innovation on this section shall be awarded a minimum of $75,000 USD and as much as a cost of $150,000 USD, except no submission, meets the entire standards.
- Entries are invited from innovators worldwide
- The innovation should present a novel, but sturdy method for the creation of signal language assets as a path to literacy. To facilitate early signal language acquisition, the innovation should enable for the event of studying assets, whereas selling entry to those newly-developed assets.
- The innovation should be usable by kids who’re Deaf, their members of the family, educators and/or different group members who interact with kids in studying. A transparent plan for partaking households, lecturers, the Deaf Community, and listening to group needs to be demonstrated. Strategies for partaking the medical group, in collaboration with the native Deaf Community, to make sure suppliers are each conscious of and educated to coach dad and mom on signal language assets are inspired.
- The innovation should be gender inclusive and aware of the gender-differentiated wants of beneficiaries.
- The innovation should be a technology-based innovation. This features a broad vary of knowledge and communication applied sciences and video media. These can embrace: , software program, Internet and cell functions amongst different platforms.
- Innovations should:
- Below-cost and reasonably priced for uptake
- Function totally in low useful resource settings, particularly addressing:
- Limited or intermittent electrical energy
- Limited or intermittent web entry
- Limited personnel for software program/ assist
- Solvers should:
- Be in a position to work with ACR GCD companions and different collaborative organizations (e.g. the nationwide member, or Ordinary Member of WFD, if obtainable) for prototype growth in Phase 2 and implementation of the innovation in Phase three
- Provide a transparent plan for signal language documentation that captures numerous signal language dialects or signal language-enabled studying useful resource creation and sustainability
Solvers could also be required to supply further info on their submission to the judging panel after the deadline.
- Enter the competitors here.
- Please submit competitors inquiries to email@example.comFor extra info, go to Sign On For Literacy Global Prize.Answers shall be shared publicly here on a rolling foundation, however no later than two weeks after submission. Questions shall be accepted via January 31, 2018.
For questions associated to this Competition, please electronic mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For extra info, go to Sign On For Literacy Global Prize.
Deadline: February 16, 2018