GEN Data Journalism Awards Competition 2018
The Global Editors Network is now accepting purposes for the 2018 version of the Data Journalism Awards. Over the previous seven years, the Global Editors Network has organised the Data Journalism Awards competitors to have fun and credit score excellent work within the subject of data-driven journalism worldwide. Data journalism groups from worldwide are invited to apply.
The Global Editors Network (GEN) is dedicated to sustainable journalism, empowering newsrooms and media innovators by way of quite a lot of programmes designed to encourage, join and share. It is a non-proﬁt, non-governmental affiliation.
There are 12 classes this yr, catering for each giant and smaller newsrooms.
- Best data journalism group: Based on the standard of content material, frequency and number of approaches coated. A most of ten examples per entry. Open to organisations/groups solely from any nation on the planet.
- Best individual portfolio: Based on the standard of content material, frequency and number of approaches coated. A most of ten examples per entry. Open to people and organisations worldwide of all sizes.
- charitable award for greatest use of knowledge in a breaking news story, inside first 36 hours: Best data-driven journalism undertaking round a breaking information story inside the first 36 hours of the story breaking. Based on the high quality of content material, frequency and number of topics coated. This award is sponsored by Chartbeat. Open to people and organisations worldwide of all sizes.
- Data journalism website of the yr: Best data-driven journalism website, primarily based on high quality of content material, frequency and number of approaches. Open to people and organisations worldwide of all sizes.
- Data visualisation of the yr: Best interactive or static visualisation primarily based on one or a number of datasets. Maybe self-contained or mixed with a narrative, however, should accomplish a journalistic goal and use information considerably. Open to people and organisations worldwide of all sizes.
- Innovation in data journalism: Awarded to the entry which leverages new applied sciences and progressive strategies to both visualise information or inform a knowledge journalism story (AI, bots, the automated course of, and so on.). Judges should not in search of giant quantities of cash spent, however for creativeness in the way in which the story is uncovered and instructed. Open to people and organisations worldwide of all sizes.
- Investigation of the yr: Best data-driven investigation, which makes use of information assortment and evaluation to reveal or deliver mild on a subject of public curiosity. Open to people and organisations worldwide of all sizes.
- News information app of the yr: Best information journalism utility. Interactivity is crucial and the undertaking ought to present each clarification of the subject and person engagement. Open to people and organisations worldwide of all sizes.
- Open data: Using freedom of data and/or different levers to make essential datasets open and accessible for re-use and for creating data-driven journalism initiatives and tales. Publishing the information used for the undertaking can be a bonus for candidates in this class. Open to people and organisations worldwide of all sizes.
- Public selection: An entry of excessive excellence chosen out of the 2018 Shortlist by members of the general public.
- Small newsrooms (a number of winners): The Data Journalism Awards jury can have the choice of conferring “Small newsroom” awards on a number of entries of excessive benefit from any class. These prizes are devoted to groups from organisations using 30 editorial workers or much less (total variety of editorial workers, not simply these engaged on the undertaking). Winners can be picked by the jury out of the shortlisted initiatives launched in April 2018. Open to people and organisations worldwide of all sizes.
- Student and younger information journalist of the yr: This award will deliver mild on the excellent work of a brand new expertise in information journalism, for initiatives finished whereas they’re nonetheless learning or early of their skilled careers. Open to all information journalists underneath the age of 27 (together with college students).
- The Data Journalism Awards 2018 will ship a $1,801 (US) money prize and a trophy to every winner of the twelve classes above.
- Open to people and organisations worldwide of all sizes.
- The awards are given to examples of data-driven articles or investigations, data-driven purposes and storytelling initiatives that use information visualization, to cowl matters related to most people and aiming at having an affect on society.
- Media corporations, non-profit organisations and freelancers or people are all eligible for the Data Journalism Awards. Works produced by people or groups of staffers from media corporations and non-profit organisations, in addition to freelancers or people are all eligible for entry.
- Works which can be the results of a collaboration between organisations may be submitted. Works produced by staffers or freelancers collaborating with authorities businesses, enterprise or commerce organisations with a stake (monetary or of different nature) within the problem at hand should not eligible. In different phrases, the awards should not given to enterprise information visualisations or initiatives produced for branding functions.
- Works that embody vital enter from members of the jury or the pre-jury won’t be accepted for entry into the competitors.
The Data Journalism Awards directors have the ultimate authority to find out whether or not an entry is eligible or not.
- All work should have been printed or aired between 10 April 2017 and 26 March 2018.
- All submission types have to be stuffed in English. Entries in languages aside from English can be accepted offered that they’re accompanied by thorough explanations of the work in English and a translation if doable. Words included in graphics, databases and net purposes should even be translated. Radio materials have to be transcribed in English and video materials should comprise English subtitles. If a piece initially printed in a language aside from English passes the pre-jury choice stage, candidates could also be requested to supply extra info and translations.
- Entries are allowed to have been printed on every other media platform: on-line, radio, audio, broadcast, print or a mixture of platforms.
- Entries are allowed to be a person work or a sequence of works.
- There is not any restrict to the variety of entries that may be submitted by one applicant.
There aren’t any submission charges.
The finalists shortlisted for awards can be introduced in April 2018, and the successful initiatives can be revealed on the 2018 ceremony and gala dinner in Lisbon on 31 May 2018, through the GEN Summit 2018.
To submit an entry, fill the Data Journalism Awards application form
For extra info, go to Data Journalism Awards Competition.
Deadline: March 26, 2018