Call for Applications Solidarity Academy Borderlands
Call for Applications Solidarity Academy Borderlands is now open for Applications. The borderland is not just a district near the line separating two countries or areas. We can see it also as a metaphor – the idea of Borderlands opens us to the widely defined problems of relation, conflicts, interferences etc. and can serve as starting point for discussions about the media and the way of telling stories.
The region of Central-Eastern Europe shares a lot of common things. They are of various backgrounds: historical, cultural, social and political. The countries of the region also face similar challenges and struggle with similar, same or shared problems. Journalists and reporters play an extremely important role in these societies. Many of these issues can be observed on the level of small local communities. Those communities resemble the whole societies in a way. Due to shared past, present and future local communities in V4, Balkan and Eastern Partnership countries also face similar problems and could benefit from good practices and implemented solutions. These regions (unlike many others) have been also historically shaped with numerous border changes and conflicts between the nations and ethnic groups. Therefore, the case of Borderlands is extremely relevant in the region.
During the project, we are going to rethink an idea of borderlands together and to look for a deeper and wider understanding of this topic. This concept, however, serves as a pretext to see some problems in a new light and can be used to find new tools for describing reality.
At the workshops and lectures held during the Solidarity Academy (SA), 16 participants will have the opportunity to expand their knowledge and improve their skills on such issues as borderlands on both local and global scale. Workshops and tasks that the participants deal with will be both theoretical and practical. The participants will have the opportunity to work in a big, international team, in smaller expert groups and individuals under the supervision of a trainer. The major part of the SA program will be held in Gdansk (6 days). However, a small part (2 days) is planned for field trips to Kaliningrad (Russia), Kartuzy (Poland), Szczecin (Poland) and Żuławy (Poland). The candidates are asked to pick a preferable site for a trip. Each group (consisting of 4 participants) will go to a different site. Their participants will have the opportunity to conduct a fieldwork and check some tools and concepts developed during the workshops and their own definitions of the borderlands.
- Organizers cover the costs of travel (up to € 100) and the participants’ stay in Gdansk, trip to the project place (Kaliningrad/Kartuzy/Szczecin/Żuławy) and stay in that place.
- 5th of August is the deadline of the call for applications.
- 13th of August, the results of the recruitment will be announced.
- 17 – 25 November, Solidarity Academy in Gdańsk (6 days) and in project place (2 days).
The Solidarity Academy team is looking for 16 active, aspiring and young (20-30 years old) journalists, reporters, activists, bloggers, analysts or writers from Visegrad Group, Balkan and Eastern Partnership countries who are willing to improve their editorial and journalism-related skills and engage themselves into the international networking process.
Applying to the Solidarity Academy – Baltic Sea Youth Dialogue applicants are expected to be aware of:
- The project’s aim, main values, and rules;
- The project’s agenda (especially the fixed dates);
- The costs of travel that participants will have to cover on their own (up to € 100);
- The full commitment and engagement in the implementation of the final project and other project tasks according to the agenda.
Deadline: 5 August 2018
How to Apply:
- The application form is available here.
- Please insert a piece of your journalistic work (approximately 1000 – 5000 characters) to the application form.
- Please note that all applications must be received by 5th August 2018.
- The working language of the project is English.
For more information, you can contact the organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more opportunities go to www.opportunitiescircle.com